Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Character Moment #32 – May 21, 2008

As I think about our last two character moments of the year, this week and next week, I reflect today on a couple of events that have recently happened that underscore the importance of striving to have excellent character.

Over the weekend I was in my hometown in Kansas attending my nephew’s high school graduation. On Saturday morning I made a trip to Wal-Mart to buy a few things. I went through the checkout line and paid for my purchases and then went out to my car. While I was putting things away in the car I noticed that I had an item in my cart that I had not paid for.

It would have been easy to get in the car and go home, but I couldn’t do it. I went back into the store and paid for the item explaining that I had taken it out by mistake. The lady said three or four times, thank you for your honesty sir – thank you for your honesty. It made me think that she probably saw more dishonesty than honesty during a typical day. For me, it was a no brainer. God won’t bless our deception.

Saturday was also a special day in that our boys’ track team did something that no other boys’ track team in 35 years had ever done – it won a CIF championship. At least we thought we did. After the CIF reviewed the meet, it realized a judge had made an incorrect ruling when he had disqualified a runner from another school. Those points, when given back to the school, put us in second place.

I received an email from Coach Preus on Monday morning explaining the situation. He said…”I believe that this is the right call. If we were on the other side of this, we would feel wronged. We have a sport that allows 48 hours to right these wrongs. While I am disappointed that the mistake was made, I agree that (they) should get what they earned.” In this morning’s Orange County Register, he is also quoted as saying, “"The last thing we want to do is win a title in which someone was unjustly disqualified from an event." In fact the head of the meet, Mr. Bob McGuire, called me this morning and said the reaction to this turnaround of events by Mr. Preus and the track team shows, “no better example of what we are trying to do as a school.”

Very classy. And that is the way it should be. It was the right response in a disappointing situation. We want to take the high road in all things, striving to be a people who are honest. Class and dignity will bring you great blessings in life and will make lasting impressions on those you meet along the way. When you choose to do the right thing, you’ll have no regrets!

No comments: